7/6/11

Haley Tricycles

A year and a half ago, I got it into my head that I wanted to have a cargo bicycle that could carry my kids and groceries. My husband works in a bicycle shop, so he was able to buy a bike and build it up to our specs. We bought a Surly Big Dummy and handcrafted some seats for our kids:
sold
Unfortunately, I fell with the kids on the bike, and it spooked me. The bike was super top-heavy, incredibly hard to step through (even without the weight, and I am 5'9" tall). Getting the bike moving was difficult, and I just was not confident on it. We sold it a few months ago. I have had my eyes on these locally built cargo tricycles that have two wheels in front, like ice cream bikes!
I want to have one custom built for our family. My biggest concern now is just becoming another statistic of an accident. That is a whole different post. I want to be the change that I want to see in our city (more cargo bikes, moving more kids and stuff via bike, less cars, etc.), but I worry about the safety of myself and my family.

4 comments:

  1. yes! I want one too. I think that cargo bike is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have them make me a custom box, with an open top and a slanted front with a hinged door. They don't make anything for kids for liability reasons, but they will do custom boxes for people who want to do after market modifications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in Chicago and saw a Mom using this bike with her two sons the other day. My husband knew the manufacturer and we found it on their site:

    http://www.jclindbikes.com/bikes/christiania-trike

    It looked really cool! Comes with 3 point harnesses and everything. I remembered seeing your post on this and thought I would share :-)

    ReplyDelete